Sunday, April 22, 2012

More Fairlane Progress

I was on a roll with the Fairlane, and the client liked to work so I decided to dig in deep! The quarter panels were full of bondo so there was no telling what was lurking there. I had replacement panels but they are notorious for not fitting correctly. Long story short, it was going to be a ton of work not matter how you slice it.

And slice it I did, check it out!

Here's what we started with. The lower rear quarter is all bondo.

The outer lip is all bondo as well.

After cutting away the skin, the inner was a mess too! I marked my cut lines and removed it.
To make the patch I started by bending some 18 gauge sheet in the brake.

Using a shrinker/stretcher I slowly put a radius in the part.

Here it is bent up.
Fits like a glove!

Here's the rear section of the quarter fitted and help in place with cleco fasteners. It took about an hour to fit the outer panel.

This is the rest of the inner lip.
This is the fitting of the front outer section of the quarter panel. Fitting the reproduction panels to each other proved to be the hardest part of this deal.

The door jamb is fully welded but the panel seam is only plug welded. This helps keep the panel straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment