Thursday, March 29, 2012

Making Parts

The Studebaker has been getting a little love lately, in preparation for a big push that I hope will have the car running and driving soon. I had a few minutes over the weekend so I made a shifter for the T56 6 speed transmission. I had a shifter from a 1961 GMC pickup, some 3/8 cold rolled steel strap and a vision. Check it out!

I had this floor shifter from a 1961 GMC Pickup I got from the junkyard a few years ago.

This is the stock T56 shifter stub, and what I am starting from to build my shifter.

I started with a piece of 3/8 cold rolled steel strap. I milled a slot in it and drilled a pair of mounting holes as well.
Next, I milled a 1/2 hole in the top of the piece.

Finally I gave it a little shape.

I cut the shifter down to size and here's how it fits into my base.
Here's what the first take looked like.

Second take it had a little more curve to it, and here you can see my vintage green and white glass shift knob.

This is the final take, for now. Kind of a miniature swan neck shifter. Nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment